Nursery school is not just about learning and being introduced to the ‘classroom’ it is about so much more. We believe that the happiness of your child is paramount as they make this transition from home to nursery and then from nursery on to their next schools.
Through their daily life at The Willow on the Farm Nursery School the children’s self-belief and confidence in their abilities will grow, in both the indoor and outdoor environments. They gain an awareness of their community and importantly, through the RULER Programme, they begin to understand and recognise their emotions and those of the people around them. We believe that this gives them a resilience to go through life happily and confidently….
The Ruler Programme
This has been created by The Yale Centre for Emotional Intelligence and has been built on years of research. Our staff have been trained in implementing this unique system across the school and will regularly update parents and engage them in taking part themselves!
RULER has been created by The Yale Centre for Emotional Intelligence, it has been built on years of research and Lulu has been trained in implementing this unique system across the school:
RULER is an acronym and stand for:
Recognising emotions in yourself and others
Understanding the causes & consequences of emotions
Labelling emotions accurately – if you can name it you can tame it
Expressing emotions appropriately
Regulating emotions effectively
The first anchor tool for the early years is called the ‘Mood Meter’. This helps the children think of emotions in terms of energy and pleasantness. Parents and teachers alike are delighted by how easy the children find it to use colours to express their feeling sand the feelings of others around them.
The second anchor tool is ‘The Charter’ – the children describe the way they would like to feel when they’re at The Willow On The Farm and what they can do to help themselves and their friends feel this way.
Every two weeks a new” feeling word” is introduced, we talk about how that word feels, how to recognise it in ourselves and others and if it is a red or blue feeling how to manage our emotions to get to the right place.
All the staff are trained by a qualified teacher in the RULER method and parents will also have the opportunity to attend workshops to help them’ talk to their children in colour!’.
This is an important stage in children’s lives and we try very hard to ensure that this is an enjoyable and easy moment for both parents and children.
We make sure the children have visited The Willow On The Farm Nursery prior to the start of term, ensuring that they have familiarised themselves with the setting, the teachers and some of the children.
Together with the parents we complete a Profile for each child which ensures that from the start we know as much about them as possible and how best to make sure their transition to school is a happy one.
We are proud to have good relationships with all our feeder schools and having asked them what they are looking for in children joining Reception and we now ensure that all Willow children:
- Are able to listen, communicate, share and follow instructions
- Are confident to have a try at anything and not be scared to make mistakes
- Are independent in using the toilet, putting on their coats and shoes
- Are happy to separate easily from their parents and go and play games with the teacher
- Have some knowledge of initial sounds
- Have good co-ordination and fine motor skills
- Have good social interaction
- Are able to listen to instructions and have a go
- Have excellent spoken English
- Are able to answer questions and talk confidently
- Are able to sit and listen attentively
- Are good at sharing resources with other children
- Are responsible for own belongings and to dress independently
- Know their colours
- Recognise and ideally write their name
- Have the correct pencil grip
- Have good manners – pleases and thank yous
- Have good listening skills
- Are able to count to 10 and recognise quantity
Some of the schools our children move on to: